England on top after late clatter of wickets leaves New Zealand under pressure at Headingley

New Zealand finished the third day 168-5, a 137 lead, in the third Test at Headingley; England gained a first-inning lead when they were eliminated by 360; Jonny Bairstow was finally sacked for 162 after Jamie Overton fell three shy of a hundred on his debut; late wickets put hosts on top

Jamie Overton scored with the first ball after tea to start England’s late surge at Headingley

England bowlers fought back with four wickets after tea to give the home team the lead after day three of the third Test at Headingley.

New Zealand were 125-1 at tea, leading by 94 and in a position to take charge, but Jamie Overton took out Tom Latham (76) with the first ball of the afternoon session and, after a brief rain delay, England scored. other three. times to leave the visitors 168-5, winning by 137, when the rain returned to end the day prematurely.

England had previously posted 360 to gain a 31-run lead in the first innings, with Jonny Bairstow’s wonderful innings finishing at 162 and Overton coming up terribly short in his attempt to score a century on his debut, ruled out by Trent Boult (4-104) for 97.

Latham and Kane Williamson (48) seemed to have changed the momentum of the game, but England’s latest flurry means the Black Caps, once again in this series, are relying on Daryl Mitchell (4th) and Tom Blundell (5th) to get them out of A hole.

Bairstow had rightly taken center stage after reaching a majestic 95-ball century on the second night, but when play began on the third day England resumed at 264-6 after being 55-6, attention turned. focused on the junior partner in that remarkable double century. stop.

Overton was 11 runs shy of a hundred in his debut after hitting beautifully the night before. But there were understandable signs of nerves as he tried to get going again.

There were no such problems for Bairstow and he was soon celebrating his 150, from just 144 balls, the second fastest 150 by an England player in Test cricket.

At the other end, Overton inched closer to his milestone and one drive, outplayed the coverage fielder for four by Boult and was greeted with a standing ovation from the Headingley crowd.

The big moment never came for Overton, though, as, after playing and missing several times, Boult found his lead and Daryl Mitchell pocketed the low catch on the first slip.

Overton’s disappointment was clear and Bairstow ran to comfort his teammate as he walked to a standing ovation, one last angry swing of the bat as he went over the rope.

He had finished an England record 241 runs for seventh wicket, but the home team’s fun with the bat continued.

Bairstow took them to 300 with a bound hit through the covers before Stuart Broad delighted the fans by pumping Boult over extra coverage for a pair of fours and following up with a big straight six.

Neil Wagner was brought into the stands alongside Broad with England beating New Zealand’s first innings 329 in the last before drinks.

The innings came to a rather abrupt end with Broad (42 off 36 balls) thrown by Tim Southee (3-100) and Bairstow, having been knocked down by Michael Bracewell at 161, holed out to give the spinner his first wicket and bring to end a fabulous entrance.

Jack Leach (8) was then caught lbw by Southee to conclude the innings after just 67 overs, with England, 55-6, having managed to fight their way to a handy early innings lead.

There was no chance of a break for Bairstow after his heroism with the bat, as he was called to hold the wicket with Ben Foakes suffering from a stiff back and sent back to the team hotel.

The Black Caps starters made it past five overs to lunch, but Will Young went down shortly after the break, outplaying the impressive Matthew Potts to Ollie Pope in the third slip with a loose drive.

Williamson came in to join Latham, both players have battled for runs in the series, but with the field seemingly starting to flatten out, albeit with the occasional ball doing enough to encourage the bowlers, the experienced duo soon found themselves comfortable, the first innings deficit was eliminated and New Zealand set out to build a winning lead.

Ben Stokes bowled for the first time in the match after 22 overs but struggled to keep up as he repeatedly bowled half volleys off the stump of Latham’s leg which the southpaw was only too happy to catch via midwicket.

That allowed Latham to reach his 23rd Test fifty – and first of the series – of 70 balls and had progressed to 72 before England got their next chance.

With tea drawing near, Broad did what he has done with southpaws so often in recent years from the wicket. The ball tipped inward, moved away, and found the rim. But this time, the trap was dropped. Joe Root the culprit of the first slip.

One down in the tea, New Zealand’s lead was just under 100 and the opportunity was there for them to take control of the contest.

Instead, for the umpteenth time in the series, England came roaring back as the Test world champions.

Leave a Comment