New Zealand’s tour of Pakistan abandoned due to government security alert

The Pakistan tour was canceled “following an escalation in the New Zealand government’s threat levels for Pakistan”; The Pakistan Cricket Board insists that “foolproof security arrangements” were made for tourists; England’s men’s and women’s teams will tour Pakistan in October

New Zealand’s limited tour of Pakistan has been abandoned

New Zealand’s tour of Pakistan has been abandoned on the day of the opening match due to a “government security alert.”

They visited Pakistan for the first time in 18 years to play three one-day internationals, the first of which took place on Friday, and five Twenty20 matches in Rawalpindi and Lahore.

However, in a statement issued on Friday, New Zealand Cricket said they would no longer be able to participate in the Tour based on the advice they were receiving.

The statement read: “The BLACKCAPS are abandoning their tour of Pakistan following a security alert from the New Zealand government.

“Following an escalation in threat levels from the New Zealand government to Pakistan, and the advice of NZC security advisers on the ground, it was decided that BLACKCAPS will not continue the tour.

“Now arrangements are being made for the team’s departure.”

The Pakistan Cricket Board insists that they and the Pakistani government “made infallible security arrangements” for the tourists.

The PCB statement read: “Earlier today New Zealand Cricket informed us that they had been alerted to some security alert and had unilaterally decided to postpone the series.

“The Prime Minister of Pakistan spoke personally with the Prime Minister of New Zealand and informed her that we have one of the best intelligence systems in the world and that there is no security threat of any kind to the visiting team.

“The New Zealand team security officers have been satisfied with the security arrangements made by the Pakistani government during their stay here.

“The PCB is keen to continue scheduled matches. However, cricket lovers in Pakistan and around the world will be disappointed by this last minute withdrawal.”

New Zealand visited Pakistan for the first time in 18 years to play three one-day internationals and five Twenty20 matches.

England men’s and women’s teams will play two T20s in Rawalpindi on October 13 and 14. The women’s team will also play three ODIs in Pakistan on October 17, 19 and 21.

Following New Zealand’s decision to abandon their tour, an ECB spokesperson said on Friday: “We are aware of New Zealand’s decision to withdraw from the Pakistan tour due to a security alert.”

“We are in contact with our security team on the ground in Pakistan to fully understand the situation. The ECB Board will decide in the next 24-48 hours whether our planned tour should continue.”

Leave a Reply