Royal London One-Day Cup final: Kiran Carlson leads Glamorgan to 58-run victory over Durham

Carlson hits 82 when Glamorgan scores 296-9 after being hit by Durham, who came up short despite Sean Dickson’s undefeated 84; veteran Michael Hogan takes the winning wicket as Glamorgan claims the first silver piece since 2004

Captain Kiran Carlson scored the leading scorer with 82 when Glamorgan secured his first silver medal since 2004 with a 58-run victory over Durham in the Royal London One-Day Cup final, at Trent Bridge.

Carlson’s 59-ball hit propelled Glamorgan to 296-9, a total that was out of reach for Durham despite Sean Dickson’s 84 unbeaten on 83 deliveries.

Durham escaped to 238 overall in 45.1 overs against impressive returns from Andrew Salter (3-42), Lukas Carey (2-47) and Joe Cooke (2-57).

But unsurprisingly, it was sailor Michael Hogan (1-27) who, at age 40, claimed the winning window when Chris Rushworth was caught behind the first ball to spark jubilant celebrations at the Wales County camp. .

Durham, who chose to bowl, picked up a wicket in the opening powerplay, which finished with honors even with Glamorgan at 44-1.

Rushworth (1-37) grabbed the first scalp of the final when Hamish Rutherford (17 of 15) chose Alex Lees on the side of the leg as he looked to increase the pace of the race.

Steven Reingold (14) got going with four straight shots off Ben Raine (3-58), but the main drive in innings came from a 106v95-ball third wicket stoppage between Carlson and starter Nick Selman. . (36 of 74)

Carlson accelerated with authority, launching Scott Borthwick for a powerful six in a row and then another over deep midwicket to hit his fifty-of-40, his second half-century in this year’s competition.

Selman sensibly rotated the strike, contributing 17 when the 100-run position went off 90 balls, only to fall to Matty Potts (3-55) shortly after when he missed a jerk.

Potts hit again with his next ball, trapping Billy Root lbw, and by the time the closer caught Carlson on his follow-up, Glamorgan had slipped from 157-2 to 160-5.

Cooke (29 of 29) and Tom Cullen (24) rebuilt and Glamorgan’s chances of bouncing back to close to 300 were boosted by Salter’s cameo from 33 of 22 installments.

Durham’s Matty Potts celebrates after taking the window of Glamorgan’s Kiran Carlson

The tail kept the momentum going through James Weighell (15) and the last couple Carey and Hogan, who added a valuable 33 24-ball runs.

Durham’s confidence in chasing the total was well founded given the prolific form of Graham Clark and Lees in the tournament, and the omens looked good for them when Clark was knocked down at 12 on the slide by Selman against Hogan.

The starters took the score to 45-0 after 10 overs only for Glamorgan to collect four wickets for 27 runs to turn the tables.

Spinner Salter changed the momentum by knocking down Lees’ stump with his third ball before Clark holed Weighell looking to clear the deep midwicket – his overall tally for the competition closed with 646 runs in nine innings.

The same pitcher and catcher combination eliminated David Bedingham by a five-ball duck after Borthwick (10) could only drive Weighell’s slower ball into the side of the leg.

With Hogan tying one end, the board read 99-4 midway; Durham’s hopes rested heavily on Cameron Bancroft.

The Australian’s risk-free approach produced a fifty-one-stop-85 run with Dickson, but just as the tie appeared again in the balance, Bancroft missed a Reingold long jump at the hands of substitute outfielder Andy Gorvin.

Dickson’s half century sprang from 61 balls, but he could only watch as Raine (10) fooled Cooke with Hogan midway and Luke Doneathy (10) skied Carey to Carlson.

Liam Treaskis went down on the attack before Hogan sealed things off before summing up Glamorgan’s agonizing wait for a trophy by admitting, “I’ve been trying for 17 seasons to get this.”

Leave a Reply